Tuesday, July 21, 2026

What We Own

 The world is beyond us even as we own it.

--Jack Gilbert "Winter Happiness in Greece"

This morning I was determined to get to the beach, where I haven't been since Easter. But when I woke up today I was checking weather and found that the air quality is quite poor out there. I opened up my sliders and the heat, humidity, and air full of Saharan dust and smoke remnants from various fires felt stifling. I realized that walking outdoors was not going to be in my best interest. I've already noticed some symptoms of the  Saharan dust in my eyes and lungs, and I didn't need to invite trouble.

My usual routine is to step outside when I first get up and say my prayers. Today I stood in front of the altar I have in my bedroom, a wonderful little arrangement I sometimes forget to honor. Today was a return to what serves me. It's weird how sometimes things are right in front of my face and I fail to notice them. So, of course I had to write about that.


It was a returning back
to things which have sustained me
a beautiful quote from a medieval mystic
a stone pulled from the New River with
 the ancient rune symbol for Courage
my dad's rosary he got at the Vatican
lying across a hunk of brain coral
Jim plucked from the reef at Chemuyil
and so much more
reminding me I have all I need
all the touchstones and words
gentle meaningful items.

How easily we get lost in the beyond
forgetting what we own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nature Sings

[Speaking of dandelions] They are little beacons of the it'll be okay , and if they had a soundtrack, it would be "O-o-o Child....