Friday, August 14, 2026

Voice

The louder the wind howled, the stronger their voices became, until their singing seemed to soften the blow of the storm.

-Terry Tempest Williams 

I've recently been making my way slowly through a new book by Terry Tempest Williams called The Glorians. If you're wondering what a glorian is, rest assured that it is not a word you would know, as it is one that came to Williams when she was watching an ant carrying a flower petal. She has determined a glorian is one of three things, or perhaps a combination of any of these:

an encounter

a message

anything that reveals the force of life

This has been deeply inspiring to me, and as I read each chapter, I grab onto some kind of message or meaning for me, then I reflect on it. I am about half way through the book, and today I realized I wanted to share what I wrote.

In a chapter called "Wind Song," Williams relates a tale of Harvard Divinity Students making a trip to Utah. One of the places they went were the Sun Tunnels. As described by Williams:

The Sun Tunnels are a remote piece of land art made by Nancy Holt...four concrete cylinders, eighteen feet in length and nine feet in diameter...arranged in an open cross formation aligned to frame the sun on the horizon during the summer and winter solstices.

While the students were there, a terrific sandstorm blew in with winds at 85 mph. The students wanted to stay, so they made their way into one of the tunnels where they sang until the storm called down. 

Combining this reading with the fact that Jim and I were married 40 years ago tomorrow, I wrote the following:

This final sentence (quoted above) spoke to me deeply. 
I sit on the cusp of our 40th wedding anniversary and 
all I can think is that Jim and I always raised our voices together 
against life's storms in order to soften them. 
And now I have found I've had to increase my own voice 
as his is silenced except in my heart. 
I have become the one who has to stand strong, seemingly alone.

But not really.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nature Sings

[Speaking of dandelions] They are little beacons of the it'll be okay , and if they had a soundtrack, it would be "O-o-o Child....